I’ve been working on my first new painting, it’s a canvas that’s 30″ by 24″, and at the moment I’m simply calling it the pumpkin girls. The earliest steps are here to see. The source material is a found photo I purchased from the USA, which has initially gone through some PhotoShop editing, comping and manipulation. The resulting image was then used as the basis for the drawings.
This is the first time I’ve used digital image manipulation in the process of a figurative painting, and a means I find exciting as so often my work from photos has been hampered by the actual photos themselves. In the intervening years I’ve become fairly proficient at messing with images in PhotoShop and it feels like a rich vein to be mined. In the sketching process, I further changed the original seeing the opportunity to introduce some of the elements that excited me in the past.
The image was transferred over to the canvas using a grid. This is also the first time I’ve ever done this as well, in the past I always did it free hand, but wanted to try a more methodical way of scaling the image up. A lot of the grid, under drawing and painting is now lost under the further layers, but I will pull them back with the bits that are still visible.
Currently the sky is pretty much completed, and I’ve started on the building and playground. When I’m happy with that I’ll be into the figures. I think I’m about a third of the way in, but it’s been hard getting back to it with some of the recent Film Producer responsibilities I also have. I’m fitting bits in though, so I will get there and aim to spend a couple of days on it this week.